Quitting drugs or alcohol addiction begins with reaching out for help. However, there are many addiction rehab centers to choose from that offer varying levels of care. The first step toward finding the best option for recovery is understanding the types of centers and what happens in them. Compass Detox can guide individuals through what to expect from particular programs and therapies so individuals can make the choice that best suits their needs.
What Happens in an Addiction Recovery Center?
Addiction recovery centers in Florida and other places focus on giving patients the resources and support they need to quit drug or alcohol use. What happens in these centers depends on the level of care the patient needs and the type of addiction they want to overcome. For instance, patients who need to quit long-term use of multiple drugs may need longer care than someone who has recently developed an addiction.
Often, in an addiction recovery center, patients will have various treatments that include individual and group meetings with trained therapies. Types of addiction recovery therapy programs may include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Group therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Family therapy
These various therapies are vital to helping patients find out triggers for drug or alcohol use, avoid situations that lead to substance use, and combat negative thoughts. While addiction results from a repeated action of drug or alcohol use, every action starts with a thought. Therefore, addiction recovery therapy programs end substance abuse by helping patients to change their thinking.
Types of Addiction Rehab Centers
The different types of addiction rehab centers have varying levels of care for patients. Levels of care refer to the amount of time that patients remain at the center. While a substance abuse detox center is not a level of care, it is an important first step in recovery. Plus, many addiction recovery centers in Florida and elsewhere provide detox centers with medical supervision of patients as standalone facilities or other types of care. Therefore, common types of care include:
- Medically supervised drug and alcohol detox: Detox centers are where patients start their journey. During this phase, they may need medicine or medical support to reduce the severe effects of withdrawal from some drugs or alcohol.
- Residential treatment: These facilities require patients to live in rooms or housing at the facility and remain on campus throughout their stay. Consequently, such places give constant support all day, every day, for those who need this high level of attention.
- Partial hospitalization program: PHP allows patients to sleep at home or in a nearby sober home at night. However, they go through the same types of therapies and treatments as residential patients during the day.
- Intensive outpatient program: IOP centers have patients come to the facility for a few hours a week to maintain sobriety and help them get the support they need to stay away from drugs or alcohol as they return to work or school outside the addiction recovery center.
- Outpatient treatment: This kind of program is designed to give the necessary support as individuals manage their chronic illness but go about their regular life activities. Patients come to a facility usually once a month or every couple of months.
Choosing a Recovery Center
When it comes to choosing an addiction recovery center, often, the choice comes after going through detox. In fact, a detox center helps patients remove the toxic effects of the drugs or alcohol from their bodies. Because the body typically experiences side effects during the process, most patients will need therapy and medical support to get through it. However, after detox, the choice of a recovery center depends on the level of care offered and the types of therapy available. However, talking to the detox center staff could help, too. Detox centers will often help patients to find a facility for continuing recovery.
Contact Compass Detox for Help with Choosing a Recovery Center in South Florida
Because detox is such a crucial phase in recovery, call us at Compass Detox, the first one. Phone 855.526.4915 or reach out to us online. We can help our detox patients choose a recovery center that works best for them after completing the detoxification phase. We aim to help patients make it through the first difficult phase of addiction recovery and assist them in finding resources for their next steps.